Saturday, January 19, 2008

California - Day Two

Day two started off with me being a total blonde and bonehead... I opened the closet door and wondered why the heck there was a tiny microwave in the closet! But being a moron.... umm... it was a room safe, LOL. So Jason then picks me up and I discovered I'm surrounded by mountains at this hotel. You'd think I would have like, oh, looked outside? LOL, but keep in mind that when I landed and took a cab to the hotel it was dark outside.

My experiences for today... it's a long drive no matter where you want to go! Saw the Hollywood sign while driving, but no good chances for a picture. I didn't know where to expect it, so at the good spots I didn't have the camera ready. Drove down Hollywood Blvd for a bit, saw lots of costumed characters on the streets taking pictures with people. Found a parking deck and then headed up to the street, walked out right in the middle of Marilyn Monroe, the Storm Troopers, and Captain Jack Sparrow! Also discovered I was standing on the walk of stars. We walked by El Capitan, and came to the front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre. There I met Charlie Chaplin and took my picture with him :) Zig-zagged through the mall setting and then discovered Jason was trying to find a particular spot with a perfect view of the Hollywood sign on the hill!! Mission accomplished, happy day!

Heading back to the car, decided to drive out to Santa Monica pier. Beautiful beach and wonderful weather are a good combo. Parked and walked through the 4th Street Promenade. There was a street performer like every 50 feet. Walked out all the way to the end of the pier and looked out across the Pacific Ocean. Is very cool to look out and see nothing but ocean as far as you can see. I can certainly see why Columbus thought the world was flat :) Fulfilling another mission, I stopped by Hooters to pick up a t-shirt for my uncle so that he has one from California.

Took forever and an extra two days to make it home, horrible traffic, and driving out there we broke it up by stopping in Hollywood before going all the way to the beach. Just a note, gas prices range from about $3.11 to $3.23. Jason is a wiz at driving and checking google maps on his phone, so we switched freeways several times to get back sooner.

And to end a wonderful day, I trotted over to the Chipotle restaurant I can see from the front of my hotel and had myself a burrito with my own chicken! And even better... there was a pizza place also selling Gelato so I'm enjoying vanilla topped with cinnamon and pecans :)

1 comment:

MsSnarkyPants said...

You know, driving while checking google maps is not a good idea! It's like worse than texting! *gives you the eye*

So Hollywood is like Disneyland? I never would have guessed there were costumed folks on the streets. I guess it's a good way for those wanna be actors to make a few bucks though!